5 Things That Happen When You Transition to Zero-Waste


If anyone is truly interested in taking on this challenge of reducing the amount of waste you create, I highly recommend it. Over the last six weeks that I’ve been transitioning to zero-waste, I’ve experienced a number of new things. It has been challenging and incredibly exciting to work it all out, not to mention it makes for a great conversation starter!

So I thought I’d share with you some of the highlights:
  1. Your friends will be curious.
    Probably my favorite aspect of my zero-waste mission has been talking to people about it. People at the grocery store, my friends and family, even my co-workers. Everyone wants to know how you do it, and some might even take up the cause as well. So keep on keeping on!
  2. Cooking.
    You will start cooking AND (gasp!) meal-prepping (AKA strategically packaging leftovers for the week). For me, cooking for one sadly wasn't something I did very often. Not that I didn't like to cook, I just didn't make it a priority. Now I have started to find a joy in cooking a nice meal for myself. It becomes a sort of game to see what all you can make without having to buy packaged items.
  3. Healthy eating.
    Since you are now having to make most of your own snacks, you will inevitably begin eating healthier items. Ironically most of the bad stuff we eat comes in packaging, so consider this the newest dieting trend! Yes, you can bake cookies and cakes package-free, but since that's not all you will be cooking you probably won't have enough time for all that. So enjoy cooking delicious, whole foods for yourself, you deserve it!
  4. Increase in energy.
    This one goes hand-in-hand with healthy eating. Naturally when you start putting healthy nutrients into your body, you start to feel better. My energy levels have been steadily improving. I have found great recipes for protein-packed energy bites that are great just before a workout. Keep an eye on my recipes page as I try out different recipes that I can make package-free!
  5. You will glow.
    Maybe it is because you are proud of your self for working towards something you are passionate about. Or maybe it is due to the fact that you are filling your body with whole, organic, non-processed nutrients. I think it is probably a mixture of both. Whatever it is, let it shine.
I'd be lying if I said I haven't had my weak moments, most of which happen when I get home from a weekend out of town or traveling for work and I find myself exhausted and starving with an empty pantry. But when it’s all said and done, I’m loving my new daily challenge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

* PLASTIC FREE JULY *

Jaco!