A bit of light reading

Since I have been down here I have had a lot (and I mean A LOT) of time to read. So far I've blown through almost 4 books, and I've only been back for about 5 weeks.. That's a lot of reading.

A friend had suggested I read the book The Art of Non-Conformity by Chris Guillebeau. The tag line alone reads "Set your own rules, live the life you want and change the world." Sounds like my kind of book. And no, it's not one of those annoying self-help books, I'd say it is more inspirational and empowering.. I've been into books like this lately.

This book really made me stop and think what would truly make me happy. Since moving to Costa Rica last year I have constantly been worried about what I will do after I graduate.

Will I be able to find a job?

What do I actually want to do?

Where do I want to live?

All of these questions have been piling up in the back of my head and stressing me out. And I've been updating my LinkedIn profile and applying for jobs left and right. But then I realized that it really is impossible to answer all of those questions. There's no right or wrong answer..

So this book made me think.. What really makes me happy? What am I passionate about?

Aside from my dance days (words cannot explain my love for performing), my time spent abroad has made me the happiest I've been in a long time.

Guillebeau points out that it is much more worth it to spend your money on experiences rather than things. I couldn't agree more. The experiences I have had over the last months I have spent abroad, in my opinion, are well worth the student debt I will be in. I realize now, that I don't need much. I can fit enough clothes and "things" in 2-3 suitcases and travel comfortably and happily.

That's all I need. Nothing more.

So my new idea, inspired by Chris Guillebeau's book, is to sell my things. Everything. All those "things" I have sitting at home collecting dust while I'm abroad. I don't need them. All proceeds will contribute to either 1) paying off my student loans, or 2) purchasing my next plane ticket and starting my life traveling the world.

I know, I know it sounds insane. But honestly, I don't want to be stuck working for someone else in a 9-5 desk job. If anything, I know THAT won't make me happy. I'm meant to do bigger and better things. And I'm not willing to settle.

I've seen what it is like to travel and see the world. And I've talked to enough people who have made it work that I know it is a possibility. Maybe I'll start my own business that allows me to work wherever I want or find someone to hire me who already has one.. I don't know. But as of right now, I am done trying to answer all of those impossible questions and have begun letting fate decide.

Whatever will be will be.

So if you are feeling stuck in your current life, job, relationship, or whatever it may be, I would highly recommend this book to you. Some people aren't ready to read these things, but if you are you won't regret it.

The Art of Non-Conformity
by: Chris Guillebeau

"Set Your Own Rules, Live The Life You Want, And Change The World!"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

* PLASTIC FREE JULY *

5 Things That Happen When You Transition to Zero-Waste

Jaco!