Nerves

It's official. I've started looking for flights... Scary, right? I mean, a year ago this graduate program was just a dream, and now it's actually happening. The reality of it all is finally sinking in.

I know, I know such a cliche. But seriously, in less than TWO MONTHS I will be packing up my life here in DFW and moving to another country. I've lived here since the Fall of 2008. That's almost FIVE YEARS. It is finally hitting me that I will be leaving this family that I have found up here. I'm really going to miss it...

The preparations for this move are very extensive. We are meeting occasionally to discuss the Student Visa process, how to pack, items we will need, living arrangements and so much more. Lucky for us, groups before us have left behind essentials like pots and pans, and other random items that we won't have to worry about packing. I love them for this! Each year the students add to the 'stash' and leave information behind. It's still very much a growing program, but each year it gets better and better :).

I still can't believe how close it all is. I'm starting to get to that point where I'm beyond excited, yet I still feel butterflies, or maybe they are bees... I can't wait for the cultural experience and the new lifestyle, but I hate leaving everything behind. Our professors keep talking to us about the transition - learning a new language, adapting to a new way of life, and being so far from home. It's not going to be easy, but they are doing their best to prepare us for drastic cultural changes.

So now I'm going to do a shameless plug for my program...
If you are at all thinking about Graduate school and interested in sustainability and/or tourism, please take a look at the MIST program. It is a "joint Master of Science degree in International Sustainable Tourism between UNT and CATIE in Turrialba, Costa Rica." Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the first and ONLY program of its kind! Nowhere else can you get this type of a Masters degree. UNT has a true partnership with CATIE and the experience is well worth your time.

If you can't tell, I'm kind of proud of this Graduate program... Still a bit nervous, but very proud! So, follow me to learn more about what all the hoop-la is about. Hopefully I can give an insider's perspective without boring you with too many details.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

* PLASTIC FREE JULY *

5 Things That Happen When You Transition to Zero-Waste

Jaco!